Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Mint Chicks


I love these dudes! So bummed that they don't get the respect and attention they deserve. The other day, I was talking to some of my friends about the scene in Portland and was confused as to why the only band making any headway is Glass Candy. The stars aligned last night and I had a dream which featured my favorite Mint Chicks song "Post No Bills." When I drove to work this morning, it came on my iPod shuffle...coincidence or divine intervention? I vote the latter! They're originally from New Zealand, hailing from the beyond legendary Flying Nun scene which gave us bands like The Clean and Tall Dwarfs. Anyway, as of the last few years they've relocated to Portland. I saw them for the first time maybe in 2004 at the one of the danker undercarriages of New York's music scene, the Delancey. The lead singer was hanging from a tube in the ceiling singing upside down while the band ripped through what could only be described as At The Drive In machine gun power pop. I was so into it, I ordered their record online the very next day



Either way, they're up to some really great things these days, their last record Screens is pretty epic. Veeeerrry power pop, but with a bizarre kiwi infusion all their own. You can stream those lovely sounds here.

Nick Cave shaved his mustache and tickled the ivories with one of my all time favorites, the Warren Ellis fronted The Dirty Three.  


Also lest we forget, Sheriffs tomorrow at 3 Clubs. Come on down!

No comments:

Post a Comment