Tuesday, September 8, 2009

FYF Fest Wrap-Up (Wavves Blow)/The Pine Hill Haints (Rule)


Hello kids, hope you all had a very eventful and restful Labor Day weekend.  I attended FYF Fest as promised and boy do I have a hell of a report (I'm one of the 100 billion jerk wads with a computer and internet access, and thus an online report is obligatory).

I will start with The Good: No Age obviously crushed it, but absolutely the finest performance I've ever seen from them, Kudos to Dean and Randy.  They played two new jams that were for sure their most delectable to date.  Their new EP entitled "Losing Feeling" drops October 6th on Sub Pop.  You can stream it for free here...lord knows I've pre-ordered it.  Next, the other "no" band, Nobunny, totally slayed.  Gallons of raw youthful energy, great Nuggets-y garage punk songs, impeccable comedic stylings, and ridiculous but somehow non-kitschy animal masks (take notes Load Records).  Also an honorable mention to Tim and Eric, the dudes rocked out unapologetically with their slapstick schtick and managed to torch an entire field full of hipsters and their "experimental garage rock" and their "cut-off shorts and tatoos."  Awesome job indeed.



The Bad: jesus Wavves, you let me down man.  I have been a champion of this band since day one, ever since the breakdown I've had my doubts.  One can only be so apathetic before one crosses out of the realm of "punk rock" and into the ubiquitous world of "shit."  Nate my friend, you have elegantly waltzed into the latter.  Great hooks dude, I wrote hooks when I was in 7th grade, and I sang them better too.  The key difference, one side of my head wasn't shaved, and I actually had talent.  Zach Hill, what are you doing drumming for this loser?  The machine gun prog/math percussion thing did not juxtapose well with the poop singing/strumming.  Get back on the road with Marnie Stern ASAP!  Times New Viking, another huge let-down.  Really great recordings, Hershey stain performance.  Remember when I said this shitgaze thing will be over soon, exhibit A: FYF Fest 2009.  (Dis)Honorable mention to the Thermals...a big walloping "meh" to them, I've seen them and their one good song before.

The Ugly: Gotta give props to Har Mar Superstar for still being horrible after all these years.  And Fucked Up, though I actually enjoyed them a fair amount, my second time seeing them as well.

More Honorable Mentions: Peanut Butter Wolf put on a pretty sick performance and brought hip-hop to the "cut off jeans" "kids with tatoos" crowd.  Crystal Antlers were great as usual, though I've seen them quite a few times now.  Strange Boys, I'm keeping my eye on them.  Goddamm I love Lightning Bolt but I'll be a monkey's uncle if that wasn't the worst possible venue for them ever!  On a stage, outdoors...Way to go Sean, I hear you're promoting that Mika Miko stadium tour, hope it goes real well brosef.

Sick band of the day is The Pine Hill Haints from Alabama.  Thanks to Aquarium Drunkard for the tip!  These guys are so damn rootsy and country/bluegrass, but so punk at the same time!  They're a delightfully sordid hodge podge of redneck hillbillies with some astonishingly compelling and earnest lyrics.  Basically, I dig them, alot.

1 comment:

  1. This was gay. I mean, getting caught with your pomeranian licking gourmet peanut butter off your taint gay.

    ReplyDelete