Monday, September 14, 2009

Blind Boy Paxton


Enjoyable weekend.  I was kicking it with a friend of mine the other day and he turned me onto this kid Blind Boy Paxton. He's 20, he's from Watts, and he's legitimately blind.  Apparently this dude has an encyclopedic knowledge of early blues, swing and jazz and man does it show. Homeboy plays guitar (like a motherf***er), tears up the banjo, fiddle, harmonica and washboard, and he sings like an ornery, grizzled old bluesman.  He is truly reminiscent of masters Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly, Skip James and Hobart Smith, though in spite of the obvious influences, he infuses the music with a soul all his own, and it's pretty damn refreshing.  I think he and Adam Stephens of Two Gallants should get together and have an old timey geek out...then again I would probably have to invest in a pretty healthy supply of Depends to thwart the subsequent pants browning. All poop jokes aside, Blind Boy plays Monday nights at the Redwood Bar and Grill.  I'm gonna check it out next week I think.

In other news, I will begin the shameless self promotion portion of this blog, which leaves a taste in my mouth akin to that of ipecac.  I've posted a new track up on The Sheriffs myspace page, the Sheriffs being my band.  It's a rough demo of a song called "Half a Lifetime."  We're playing at 3 Clubs on Wednesday night at 10:30pm.  It's my favorite bar in town, and I've actually seen several really great bands there, not to mention it's where I met David Yow (whom I will be seeing with the Jesus Lizard next month ) and the dude from The Imperial Butt Wizards (yeah you read it right).

If you would like that track, or any tracks, please feel free to email me Brandon.Intelligator@gmail.com 




1 comment:

  1. uhhhh please send me all of the Sheriffs music and any nude photos you have of yourself. Actually don't send the music, I don't want people thinking I'm limp wristed or anything...please send photos

    my email is uhh.thats@gay.com

    ReplyDelete