Monday, November 2, 2009

A Couple Bands That I'm Pretty Into - Snail and ...



God Bless Henry Rollins.  Via his show on KCRW, I was introduced to a band called Snail, and I gotta say I'm really into what I heard.  The band is made up of former members of Siouxsie and the Banshees, Gene Loves Jezebel, and the Soft Boys (Robyn Hitchcock's old band).  As a side note, if you haven't heard these bands I suggest you check them out before you read any further.

Anyway, they kind of sound like you might expect them to sound--savory dashes of heavy post punk (a la Buzzcocks or like a hi-fi Swell Maps) with sprinkles of Industrial here and there and the softer moments informed by Syd Barrett (gasp!).  Check em' out, I don't know why people haven't been talking about these dudes, they've been around a while now.



Another band I really like right now is San Francisco's The Fresh and Onlys. They're a bit like if Bauhaus and Joy Division got married to the Velvet Underground and moved to the west coast instead of the U.K.  It's gloomy, lo-fi psych, goth and anybody who knows me knows I love goth--the Birthday Party is my favorite band of all time.

And just as a bonus, there's this band that features ex-members of The Fresh and Onlys called the Sandwitches that are really rad.  Thanks very much to Gorilla Vs. Bear for the heads up.  They've got an extremely twisted girl-group vibe minus the shitgaze.  Like lo-fi meets Motown...I just invented a new genre: "Lo-town!"  Well I'm officially cooler than Ultragrrrl now.




No comments:

Post a Comment