Monday, October 26, 2009

New York and other assorted rants


Hello Kids,

It's been a long time but to quote Luther from the warriors, "I've been busy!"

Just got back from NYC with the Chickens, CMJ was a cruel mistress due only to extremely ill-timed torrential precipitation and a transportation paradox that lead me to ponder why and how I'd lived out there as long as I had, or at all.  All curmudgeonly slander aside however, I really do love that town and the proverbial nuclear war I wage on my body every time I visit.

Enough rambling let's talk music.  I didn't really see much, honest.  If you're wondering what I was doing with my time, see above statement.  I saw Fool's Gold, Best Coast, Surfer Blood and the always super rad Crystal Antlers.

Anyway, the whole thing was yet another exercise in "great record - shitty performance/how are you famous."  Best Coast was extremely lackluster, Surfer Blood had the songs but the vibe didn't transfer from the record.  Crystal Antlers I've seen a few times now and they ruled, they always rule.  Thankfully, Fool's Gold kicked ass!  Check them out right away, this minute even. They're like LA post punk Israeli Afro-Beat.  Really great songs and they are totally blowing up, and they're from a small town on the west coast called Los Angeles, known for its weather, music and basketball team, but not it's baseball teams (whoa!).

Anyway, I've got more...later.

No comments:

Post a Comment