Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pete Drake



I don't know too much about this guy but I gotta extend a public thank you to my buddy Asa at Black Iris as he showed me this ridiculously epic video the other day. The song is by Pete Drake, it's called "Forever" off the 1964 Smash Records album of the same name. Apparently this shit sold over one million...remember when people used to be rad...? I don't.

Pete Drake - Nashville pedal steel wiz, record producer and all around innovator. Apparently he played steel on all of Dylan's Nashville records, he played with Joan Baez, Marty Robbins, Don Gibson, George Harrison and Ringo. Definitely the first guy to use a talk box with a pedal steel guitar, though apparently Alvino Rey and Luise King were the first to employ the sound with a guitar in 1939. Nerd Alert!

Stay thirsty my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment