Friday, February 12, 2010

Long Time No See

Hello Children, it's been too long and I apologize. Things were extremely hectic.



I was inspired by a couple things going on, first the ATP NY 2010 announcement...gosh darnit if only I had the coin. Small bands like:

Iggy and the Stooges (doing Raw Power)
Explosions in the Sky
Breeders
Sonic Youth
Not one but two of the ironic Fuck bands - Fucked Up and Fuck Buttons
Brian Jonestown
etc.

Jim Jarmusch curated, well played.

But really most impressively SCIENTISTS from down unda, in their first US appearance apparently, performing one of my favorite lost gems, "Blood Red River."



In order to fulfill my quota of Nick Cave references, without further ado...
Along with Nick Cave (maybe before him), Kim Salmon of Scientists had a band called Cheap Nasties which was one of the first Australian punk bands. Really opened the flood gates for some genius shit, I don't think I have to sit here and tell you how rad Radio Birdman, The Saints and the Birthday Party were.

Scientists have that gnarly blues gothic post-punk sound that I adore, definitely more "rock & roll" than the Birthday Party, and a good place to start for someone looking to break their ears in to that aggro noisy sound. Maybe this is pushing it, but it's something like a cross between Mudhoney and Gun Club.

As penance for my long absence...here's some extra credit. These dudes are just so goddamm good at life.

No comments:

Post a Comment